Friday, January 10, 2014

A Painting a Day in January, Degas Abstracted

Here we are on day 10! This project has me engaged completely, looking at art to find my reference paintings, reading so much about these artists, then taking flying leaps by abstracting these figure paintings after first simplifying and making them my own. So it's back and forth and I am having fun! This painting is perhaps the greatest departure from the reference, and I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I'm excited of how far it took me, on the other I wonder, "Have I gone too far?" "Where will I go next?"

5 comments:

  1. This looks great on its own. You can forget the original far as I'm concerned. Isn't it about the journey, not the destination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you haven't gone to far..You are just getting your feet wet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Libby and Page. Let's just go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun painting, I like it.
    "Have I gone too far?"
    Not at all.
    Keep on going on your adventure to wherever.
    "Where will I go next?"
    That's the fun, eh,
    to boldy go...on canvas space.
    Meanwhile, this is delightful.
    I'm curious what the original was, a Degas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Degas / Cassatt Trivia:
    Mary Cassatt painted her first mother and child work, A Goodnight Hug, three years after she met Degas. He'd told her that a maternal theme which had only been done as a religious theme, would set her apart and make up for the lack of recognition she faced as a female painter.

    ReplyDelete