Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Workshop Day 2- Mark Daniel Nelson

Day 2 begins with my decision to work in oils and paint a first generation painting from my reference photo. I had not printed these references out, so I had only my iphone and just brief viewings of the picture. That probably helped to keep things abstract and just looking for the big flat shapes. Mark does his critique using the ipad-  first he puts my image up on the screen in duplicate, then he makes modifications to one of the images and you can immediately see what would happen if...(fill in the blank). It's a pretty effective way of looking at images and making those virtual changes which the artist can then use- or not!





This is a detail from the painting which could then be used as a reference for a second generation painting. The idea is that each step will take you to more abstraction.



This painting was done using the first painting as reference and a jumping off point. I used oils and Arches paper for oil painting. It's a great surface for its' portability and versatility as I cut the paper down for this study.


Here's a cool shot of another abstract that came from the first painting. Upside down and rightsize up- and a great app (no longer available) that shows the colors that are used in the painting. All very harmonious so that made me happy!



What a day! We all- especially Mark- worked so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment