Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Day Starters or Rise and Shine




Was it only my generation, or did you get a morning call to "Rise and Shine"? I usually would be overcome with a desire to pull the covers over my head and snuggle deeper into my own world.

Years later, when I was in the struggle of my addiction to alcohol and drugs, there was no attraction to the morning. The bright light of sunshine made me wish for blackout curtains and the cover of darkness. The attitude of rise and shine belonged to another girl. Not me. I felt the same hopeless feelings as I had the day before...and the day before that.

My newly published memoir Into the Light talks so much of coming out of the darkness, facing the truth about myself, and doing the work so that I could truly participate in my life. No longer a victim, quick to blame people and situations for how my life has turned out, I can now offer hope to those who might still be stuck in the same kind of lies that swirled around my own head.

Lies that told me I was less than, had done things that were unforgiveable, and didn't deserve an abundant life. How very wrong I was. 

This oil painting, 20x20, titled The Day Starters reminds me of the simplicity of life. Morning rituals like a gratitude list and a few minutes of meditation help me to let go of the past, be truly in the present moment, get up, and embrace a new day. 

Rise and Shine!











;

No comments:

Post a Comment