Monday, February 21, 2011

Zippo

My latest effort from The DPW Challenge.   Michael Naples came up with the challenge of painting this Zippo lighter (my Dad had a big collection of them) using only Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, and Titanium White. A limited palette to be sure, but a large range of values and temperatures can be made from just these 3. A fun challenge that makes me want to try a few of my Dads' old lighters and paint them from life, rather than a photo. I love it when a painting leads you to another painting!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job. It's been fun seeing how everyone painted the reflective surface of the lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I tried to use a color the same value as the table surface, but a different hue. I love seeing what everyone does. By the way, I'm enjoying your work on your blog too.

    ReplyDelete