Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Coiled in the Sun

When I saw how the sunlight played on this garden hose I knew I wanted to capture that moment. A basic tenet of plein air painting is to find the light or shadow and lay it down early in the development of the painting. The light changes so quickly that you may notice you are modifying and changing it as you go along. This is a tendency that can plague even an experienced painter, trust me! Here is where the camera can come in handy when the light shifts, or disappears for the day.

2 comments:

  1. YOu really captured the sunlight in this and also demonstrated the truth of the principle of warm light/ cool shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie. It always feel a little like madness to catch the sun/shadow before everything changes.I guess that's just part of plein air.

    ReplyDelete