Friday, January 17, 2014

Edward Hopper, Day 17 of 30

This painting, titled Girl at a Sewing Machine, was painted in 1921-22 and resembles his etching East Side Interior; both depict a young woman sewing by a window. Hopper was influenced by Rembrandts' figure at a window and used the idea of a 17th century realist for his work. I love how much we can learn from the past to inform our process today. I cropped his painting for my take on it; pressed a bit more than usual to finish and meet my other deadlines! I can see how much warmer his is than mine, wahhh!
I am posting both as I've received positive comments from people being able to see the original as well as my rendition.


9 comments:

  1. Love them both. I started sewing at age 5 when I received my first machine so the subject really appeals to me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I too, learned to sew at a young age, from my grandmother who taught me to make my stitches small small small!

      Delete
  2. I love them both too. I love the way he did his, but yours is amazing! I like the simplicity of the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am always trying to simplify and get to the essence of things.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree. I kind of like yours better because it's so clearly abstract and the echoing shapes are so great!

      Delete
  3. Love what you are doing with these abstracts inspired by impressionists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby, I am excited by all the research I'm doing!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Page, you KNOW I love Diebenkorn!

    ReplyDelete