Saturday, February 9, 2013

There Was a Blizzard on Her Birthday

Ok, I woke up with a sore throat and still no power. We lost power last night about 8pm, a blizzard raging all around. I saw the beautiful birch branches snap and felt totally powerless. I set up the flowers my husband had delivered yesterday for my birthday today and got out the julian easel. I spent several hours working on this, 14x18, a view of my living room. We have a gas range, so we were set and power was restored about 4pm. A birthday to remember.
Artist note; in a complicated interior like this, I did a drawing first in my sketchbook, noting what I wanted to be the focal point. Of course it was the flowers, so I arranged my composition to showcase them. I used a primary palette, ultramarine, cad red light, cad yellow light and titanium.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Anne! This is beautiful. It is so soft and peaceful. Although the conditions weren't the best, you definitely seized the day. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue rug pointing up to the setting. The flowers are a beautiful spot of color among lovely neutrals.
    Nice to see "Artist note. " Works for me great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! I like the cloth draped on the table and the blue vase filled with flowers is beautiful. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! Great composition and color!!!
    XOOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wise to do the drawing first. I know it improves my paintings, but so often I'm in too much of a rush to do it.I'm going to make it a goal to do more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely feeling of space. Glad you got to paint on your birthday. Happy, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for the birthday wishes and wonderful comments about this painting. I was exceedingly happy that I got to paint on my birthday, eveh though there was no power til the next afternoon and a blizzard going on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really lovely interior painting, a beautiful setting and the flowers are so pretty. And happy birthday !

    ReplyDelete